Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Twin jewelry boxes

This is a pair of small walnut boxes I made for my wife as a Mother's Day present. They started life as one box but I didn't like the proportions. The math didn't work either - two boys, one box. The joke now is that my wife can use one box for the left earrings, the other box for the right...


The boxes are about 3 1/4 in. square and 2 1/2 in. tall. I cut the miters on the tablesaw using a dedicated miter sled. The boxes have plywood bottoms, glued in. The panels in the tops are (I think) yellowheart. Terrific luster and shimmer, and a great contrast with the walnut.


Everything was assembled at one time during glue up and then I sawed the tops off at the bandsaw. A little light sanding on the underside of the tops and the top rim of the boxes cleaned up the bandsaw cuts nicely. I'm pleasantly surprised at how close the line between top and box comes to disappearing. The tops are held in place with a glued-in insert underneath.


Click Here and Start WoodWorking

No comments:

Post a Comment