Wednesday, June 8, 2011

My Very First Blog Entry

Giving away free woodworking plans seems contrary to my job creating drawings in a commercial cabinet shop. Due to the highly custom nature of these woodworking projects, it's rare that a design created for one customer is ever suitable for another. Countless hours and dollars are spent on a drawing that usually gets discarded or filed away and forgotten after only one or two uses. The Problem I wouldn't throw away a brand new table saw or a quality hand tool, but what could I do about all of these valuable designs going to waste? My Solution First of all, I could plan the projects such that the designs are much more suitable for reuse. In the shop we get in a hurry to push jobs through production and we don't take the time to make the design reusable or configurable. My goal is to include elements in every design that allow for rapid customization and multiple configurations.
Secondly, I could share the designs. Give away free woodworking plans! I can't give away the actual woodworking drawings from my job. They belong to the company or the customer who paid for them. In addition, those designs generally aren't suitable for reuse. So the plans you will find here are original, created from scratch to share with you. What To Expect Keep in mind that since I'm coming from a commercial cabinet background, the plans tend to be more shop drawings than project instructions. They assume a modest level of skill reading prints and working with tools and wood. Even so, I'll try to include projects that are very basic as well as those that are much more complex. Getting Started If you are new to woodworking, I encourage you to find someone who is willing to share their knowledge and experience with you. For those of you who are seasoned pros, I endeavor to earn your respect. To everyone, I welcome and encourage your feedback.

The greatest lessons I can hope to learn about designing cabinets and furniture don't come from books or drawing instructors. They come from you folks out in the shop. With that, I hope these free woodworking plans find as much use in your shop as that brand new table saw or your favorite hand tool.
Click Here and Start WoodWorking

No comments:

Post a Comment