Monday, June 6, 2011

Showing Off Your SketchUp Inventory

  It recently occurred to me that I could create display rooms of my furniture models in SketchUp. I'm not sure what benefits I can achieve by doing this, but it is fun to assemble furniture in the context of the rooms in the house. I suppose this was partly an experiment - how many furniture pieces could I include before SketchUp bogs down. (I never reached a point of noticeable degradation in performance. )Yes, this creates big files, as these pieces of furniture are very detailed and full of complex surfaces. And I just scratched the surface, not applying textures, colors, and fancy room treatments.
Here is my redwood shed out back with included furniture. The shed - a timber frame construction - was designed in detail in SketchUp. I've included several pieces of Shaker furniture installed there - a garden bench, blanket chest, cupboard, table, and Windsor chair.
Here is our family room that includes, a corner cupboard, Maloof chairs, lowboy, entertainment center, breakfast table, Windsor chairs, mahogany bookcase, and sideboard.

This is so much fun, I may just assemble furniture in all rooms of the house.
Tim

Click Here and Start WoodWorking

No comments:

Post a Comment